I’m thrilled that my third collection of travel stories, An Elephant Ate My Arm: More True Stories from a Curious Traveler, earned these awards:
- Paris Book Festival 2021: First Place
- Readers’ Favorite 2021: 5-Star Review
- Shelf Unbound 2021: Notable 100
- San Francisco Book Festival 2021: Honorable Mention
- eLit award 2022: Gold
- Independent Press 2022: Distinguished Favorite
- Independent Publisher (IPPY) award 2022: Bronze
- National Indie Excellence 2022: Finalist
This just in: Five of the stories in this book won 2022 Solas Travel Writing awards, including two gold awards. I’m honored and humbled—and even more certain you’ll enjoy the stories.
I’m honored that my second collection of travel stories, Your Crocodile has Arrived: More True Stories from a Curious Traveler, won the following awards:
- Readers’ Favorite 2017: Silver
- North American Book Awards 2019: Silver
- San Francisco Book Festival 2020: Honorable Mention
- Independent Press Award 2020: Winner
- American Book Fest 2019 Best Book Awards: Finalist
My first collection of travel stories, Lost, Kidnapped, Eaten Alive! True Stories from a Curious Traveler, won the following awards:
- North American Book Awards 2017: Silver
- San Francisco Book Festival 2017: First Place
- Independent Press Award 2017: Distinguished Favorite
- BATW-Best Awards 2017: Gold
Many of my essays and photos are also award winners; here are two biggies I’m thrilled about:
- Silk from Ashes, about the impact one woman, her bra, and 11,640 insect eggs made on war-torn Croatia, won the 2013 Lowell Thomas Gold Award for Cultural Tourism.
- My photo of a tiny frog nestled—nearly hidden—in the leaves of a colorful kalancho won first place in the Natural World category of Smithsonian magazine’s annual international photo contest (there were 60,000 entries).